On the subject of P.T.'s
This can be a potential minefield for anyone starting out on the fitness journey. Who do you select, how do you pick one, will they be any good, how can you know. There are many questions you should ask when deciding who you are going to allow into your life to guide you towards your goals.
I've seen a lot of P.T.'s on social networking sites talking a lot of nonsense about diet and training. I've seen some who are a font of knowledge and are more than willing to share, and more importantly explain the rationale behind their methodology. The good ones can back up their argument with sound evidence, the bad ones really cant.
Would you select the guy on the left as your PT?
One big mistake people often make is that they select a PT based on looks. If the PT is fit then they must be good right? Wrong. Someones outward physical appearance is no guideline of their knowledge, experience or ability. Just because someone isn't fit, doesn't mean they don't know their stuff. Some of the best and most knowledgeable fitness professionals are out of shape. Consider this. They may have been world class athletes who had given up many many things in their life to succeed. Then after they have achieved their success and decided to retire from competition, many choose to abandon training altogether as they feel they have earned an easy life and time to enjoy themselves. Now I'm not saying go look for a fat PT. I'm just presenting an alternative explanation. Some of the fittest PT's I've seen should not be allowed to PT. They are completely lacking in knowledge, professionalism and technical know how. I've seen PT's teaching appalling form in various lifts. I cringe when I see this. The poor unsuspecting client believes they are being shown the correct technique. Sad when they discover they will have to unlearn then re-learn the correct form, usually after an injury.
I think the point I'm trying to make here is that looks are no gauge of whether a PT will be good or useless. So what should you look for? I would suggest the following research is a must.
1) What qualifications do they have? Ask to see the certificate/diploma
2) Are they registered with a regulatory/professional organisation? Ask to see proof
3) Are they continually updating their knowledge? ask them how they do this.
4) Ask to speak to current clients rather than rely on "testimonials"
5) Ask if it would be possible for you to observe them taking a client.
6) Tell them your goals and ask them how they will help you achieve this, when they respond, ask why that will work, how it will work.
7) Ask them their sporting/fitness background (is everything from a textbook or have they gained practical experience)
8) Do they specialise in any particular area of fitness?
9) What is their knowledge base regarding nutrition?
10) Do this all over again with a number of PT's to find the one you feel most confidence in and who you feel you can work with.
Treat each one like your interviewing them for a job, because after all, that's exactly what it is. You are hiring them. They should prove to you why they are the best for the job. I would suggest that any PT who isn't prepared to surrender this information should be disregarded immediately. What are they hiding. Its your money, health and fitness after all.
So in short. Don't go rushing into PT selection. chose carefully and choose wisely. Consider everything that you feel is important, because in the end it is a big decision.
By the way, those of you who are interested in weightlifting should have said YES to having the guy on the left in the above picture as your trainer. Why?
That guy happens to be the late Vasily Alexeev who set 80 world records in his career, won 2 Olympic golds, 8 world titles and 8 European titles, and coached 5 Olympic champions. He was a fat guy who knew his stuff.

No comments:
Post a Comment